The Tiverton Yacht Club is hiring Sailing Instructors for the summer of 2017.
420 and Optimist Sailing Instructors
For the position of 420 and Optimist Instructor, we are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic college and high school aged sailors. One design racing experience is required. Our team provides instruction for students ages 6-16 in Club 420s and Optimist sailboats. Instructors are charged with significant responsibility.
Benefits of being part of the TYC Team:
• We are unique and we have more enthusiastic sailors wanting to join our program every year!
• Our comprehensive curriculum provides you with lessons, drills and activities that have been developed and tested with success
• Your input and experience is invaluable when planning and implementing new lessons
• Close proximity to Newport and the ability to participate in its active racing scene
• 1+ yr of sailing instruction experience
• Exceptional organizational and communication skills
• Motivational, energetic and outgoing personality
• Ability to build teams and successfully interact with people from multiple generations
• US Sailing Level 1 certification
• Current CPR training
• RI Boating License or equivalent
• Valid Driver license and transportation
To Apply: send a letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Junior Sailing Instructor
The Junior Sailing Instructors duties will include:
• Assist in sailing instruction at all levels
• Help rig boats before class and de-rig and secure boats and equipment after class
• Assist in Club competition races
• Help maintain boats and equipment
2 days/week 8:30am to 4pm or part time as scheduling allows, there is a possibility of Saturday morning hours and other week day hours during busy times of the season
• Must have finished sophomore year in high school (minimum)
• Power boat skills are a plus.
• Interest and ideally some experience teaching, mentoring or monitoring children.
• Strong references from adults who can speak to your responsibility and skills with children or boats..
• Must have completed 2 season of Captains Class or 420 class at TYC (or an equivalent class if from another program)..
• Must have current CPR certification prior to opening date of the season for which you are applying.
• RI safe boating license or equivalent prior to opening date of the season for which you are applying.
About TYC Sailing Program
We provide Seamanship, Beginner, Intermediate, Racing and Adventure Sailing programs for sailors age 5-18. Our fleet consists of Club 420 sailing dinghies, Optimist dinghies, Hunter 140’s, Harpoon 4.6’s, Open Bic dinghies and our Flying Scot.
We encourage a fun appreciation for sailing, respect for the water and care for boats and equipment. Our instructors are certified by the United States Sailing Association and have first aid training.